Saturday, September 21, 2013

New digs, temples, and reggae

We found new lodging just down the street which is actually cheaper ($12 per night) and has a lovely clean private bathroom, a.c. and a fan, which I love. It is run by two English speaking ladies about my age. The place is super clean and comfy. My attitude is vastly improved from yesterday.
There are lots and lots of Buddhist temples, (called Wats) every place you go around the neighborhood. Here's the one across the street from where I am staying.








I guess these are bonsai frangipani.





The little statue in the brown wooden box appears to be a soldier, or maybe a policeman wearing a pistol. Hmm. That seems strange.


I really wanted to bang this gong.





A lot of this stuff is hundreds of years old.





Below is inside the temple. Not a very good photo.








I don't know the story here but clearly people are being eaten by crocodiles and hostile fish.





Quite a few dogs and cats live in the temple, they looked pretty well fed and one was wearing a very small tshirt. Should have gotten his picture.


This flower was on the lower branches of a tree and was about the size of a teacup. It smelled nice.


Weird how it only blooms on these lower branches.





Here is a view of the mountains just outside of town as seen from the moat.


I had the BEST lemon Italian soda with tons of ice and a brownie today. It was so refreshing after hiking a couple of hours in the heat. Such a cute little coffee shop! It was called "Into the Woods" and was decorated on a fairy tale theme with a big mural on one wall and bookcases with books all along the other. The neatest thing was the huge wardrobe against the back wall. To go to the restroom you had to open the wardrobe and go in! It lead to another area in the back where the restroom was. Isn't that clever?


Bad shot of the mural below. They also had wooden "trees" throughout the coffee shop.


Later we went to a reggae joint and heard some Asian guys sing Bob Marley. They were surprisingly good! I had one Singha beer and felt like I was a grooving granny. I get around!




Location:Chiang Mai

No comments:

Post a Comment