Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Grandeur

I really wasn't prepared for how grand Vienna would be. I didn't understand how far reaching the influence of the 600 year old Habsburg monarchy has been. Marie Antoinette grew up here! Below is the summer palace called Schönbrunn which rivals Versailles.


The other end of the garden has this huge overlook building. I can't believe I walked all the way up there then up a bunch of stairs. Barb was barely breathing hard.


This is the front door of the palace.


We also went through the maze and the labrinthe. Seriously I did not need to do extra walking but ......it came with our ticket so.



Sorry about this picture but a photo from inside a maze is very dull.
Below you see the Hofburg, which is the city palace. This is just one of the side entry gates.


Some of the guys who try to sell you concert tickets are decked out in Viennese jackets etc.


Fountains and statues galore.


We also walked through a beautiful green park.





Statue of Strauss playing a violin.


Cool church but I was too tired to walk there. Instead we stopped by Mozart cafe and I had Viennese coffee (the best ever) and a Sacher torte. Barb had the chocolate cornucopia of berries with raspberry mousse.



Then I went back to the hotel and looked up the Habsburgs on Wikipedia. Whew!

Location:Vienna, Austria

No comments:

Post a Comment