Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sevilla sights

My first day of sight seeing in Seville was spent at the Real Alcazar which is a palace built by Spanish Christian kings in the style of the Moors who dominated Spain for hundreds of years. Parts of the palace date back to the1200's if I have it right. I have to say up front that my pictures don't do this place justice. It is pretty amazing to wander through it.






Interior courtyard, pools and gardens. Very intricate carvings and stonework.


Almost every square inch was a mosaic or plaster carving, even the ceilings. It's hard to tell, but the picture below is a domed ceiling meant to represent the stars in the heavens.


That's a balcony on the right in the picture above. You can see it again in the top center of the picture below.





The detail was amazing to me



The best part, however, was the extensive garden. I enjoyed it very much.


Here is an overview of the gardens.

YouTube Video

Orange trees dominated but there were also lime and grapefruit.


There were also flowering plants like this tree.



There was an old lime tree that kind of inspired me. Most of it's branches were gone and big chunks of bark had peeled away due to a fire it endured. In short, it was beat up. Still, however, it was bearing a small harvest of limes. I admired its "can do" attitude!


All in all, quite a magical place.

Location:Sevilla, Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment