Sunday, November 6, 2011

Last day at the Algarve

Of course the sun came out as we were leaving the beautiful beaches of Portugal. I wish my artist brother would turn these pictures into paintings. I think they would be stunning.























We also took a little bus trip to the nearby seafaring town of Lagos. Many of the first explorers took off from Lagos to discover sea routes to India and round the horn of Africa. When you realize how small their boats were you have to be impressed with their bravery, especially when you remember they believed in sea monsters and dropping off the edge into hell.
Sadly, one of the commodities they brought back to trade were slaves. We saw the slave market.



A lovely green tiled building sets off the mosaic design of the plaza.



When it started to rain we ducked into a restaurant and I ordered the local specialty which is grilled sardines. It wasn't my favorite but I am glad I tried it.


Barb wimped out and got spaghetti. We washed it down with some sangria then went to another place to have some dessert. Barb got the chocolate dipped fruit kebabs while I got orange creme brûlée . Then we had to head back to the hotel and get down to business trying to get all our stuff to fit back in our too small suitcases. We took this picture before we headed out to our separate destinations, Barb to Madrid and me to Seville.




Location:Lagos, Portugal

1 comment:

  1. Portugal looks amazing. We set our clocks back last night. It always makes me a little sad. Summer is really over. It was a wonderful summer. I have heard that Sevilla is a beautiful city. One of our Spanish teachers married a local Sevilla man and brought him back to the States. He was gorgeous. Maybe you will see him.

    ReplyDelete