Friday, November 11, 2011

Flamenco and more

Walking down the streets of Seville you just never know what you will find. I ran across this crop of giant mushroom type things. I suppose they are some kind of modern art.



Do a quarter turn and you are back in the olden days.


There are interesting items to eat





And interesting items to wear. There were a ton of shops selling flamenco accessories on this street which happens to lead to the Flamenco Museum.


The Flamenco museum was pretty cool with some high tech presentations that actually taught me a lot about the dance.

YouTube Video

In another window on the street I saw these little figurines that are not the KKK. They represent the penitents who dress like this for the Holy Week processions . It is a major deal here with lots of events in the streets. Probably plenty of flamenco dancing too.


Next I visited a small palace where the Countess who lived there a long time ago (early 1900's) showed off her collection of Roman antiquities, including some as old as biblical times. I can't imagine how, but she moved Roman mosaics that were in a state of decline in Italy all the way to Seville and had them reconstructed on the ground floors of her palace. I mean this stuff was old!



I enjoyed it a lot because there was a guided tour given in Spanish and I was able to follow almost everything they said. That is mainly because the girl who gave the tour was from Finland and came to Seville to learn Spanish. She was pretty brave as her Spanish wasn't extremely strong but she got by. There were only 3 of us on the tour though so it wasn't too bad.
I was so inspired that I went into the most crowded tapas place I could find and asked people what to get and how to order. It was pretty complicated but I sure liked my my montadita barbacoa once I finally got it!

Location:Seville, Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment