Sunday, October 30, 2011

Beaches

We got to the Pestana Viking (everybody around here calls it Vick-ing) Resort about sunset last night. Here is the view from our balcony at dusk.




We really did not get the full effect of this place until this morning when we were able to roam around a bit.






The grounds are green and grassy with lots of palm trees. The outdoor pool is beautiful but a little chilly.


I did see a lady swim in it today but she is probably from Finland or another hearty Nordic nation. I like the indoor pool much better since it is heated. Apparently both pools are saltwater pools which is nice because you don't have the chlorine smell.



The wonderful sunning area is wonderfully peaceful, overlooking the Atlantic ocean with only the sounds of the waves crashing and the birds singing. It is sunny and in the 70's. Reminds me of California.



I tried out different spots and read my big fat edition of the Sunday Times printed all in English for the Brits. Here is my fav spot. Lovely, huh?



There are little pocket beaches to explore.



Our room is just one room with twin beds but it does have a great balcony with a table and chairs as well as a kitchen unit with a micro and refrigerator. Also breakfast is included in the price. It was a great full breakfast with lots of variety. I feel pretty sure we are the only Americans here. There are many from England and Germany. I am just totally blown away that we are paying only 19 euro each (under $30) per night for this. The only bummer so far is that you can only get wifi in the lobby and it costs €28 per week. I am sure I will pony up but not sure I will be as available for those Skype calls from this location as I will have to be in the lobby. It is a very nice lobby though!
I hope this gorgeous weather holds out!

Location:Lagos, Portugal

2 comments:

  1. How long are you at Viking? It is turning fall here but still warm. We had no trick or treaters last night. The night passed uneventfully. Love your photos of the beach. Can there ever be too much beach and ocean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place looks amazing! I wish I was right there in one of those chairs reading with you! The beaches are so pretty! I can't believe it's so cheap!!!

    ReplyDelete