Thursday, May 8, 2014

We saw Warsaw

I woke up this morning and realized I had been having a nightmare. The things I have learned over the last week about what people are capable of is both horrifying and uplifting and it's having an effect on me. Being in this part of the world brings an element of reality to the actions of the Nazis and the communists that shocks me. It's hard to believe this lovely city was bombed to bits and pieces , 85 to 90% of the buildings destroyed and one third of the population murdered. They rebuilt it all exactly as it was using prewar photos to guide the reconstruction .



Below is the street in old town where are lovely apartment is. This area was a burned out pile of rubble after the war, but it is beautiful now.


Pass through this iron door and up two flights and there's our apartment!


We toured the castle which was originally built in the late 1600's. They finished the complete reconstruction only in the 1990's. More than half the art treasures that used to be kept here still have not been recovered.



It all looks kind of new doesn't it?





Only one of these silver eagles was found. It was in the US. They used that one to reproduce all the others that had been here originally.


The king was constantly fighting off invaders because Poland is flat and a relatively easy terrain on which to stage battles.


I gotta say, on a rainy day in Warsaw, I'd rather be in Paris. The cure for the sad story of the city? Why cherry beer of course!



And more pierogis! Dumplings stuffed with spinach and topped with sour cream sauce. I also had meat pierogi with bacon sauce. And a brownie for dessert! You can tell I am trying to eat European style with the fork in your left hand the the knife in the right. It takes some practice. Now I feel better!



No comments:

Post a Comment