Monday, May 5, 2014

Way way up north

I'm in Poland! Here is a map for those geographically impaired. The red "A" marker is Gdansk


Here we are on our last evening in Gdansk, a very surprising city. I really knew nothing about this area but, surprise! it has such a rich history. We arrived by plane, took a bus to the train station to buy the tickets that will take us to Warsaw tomorrow. Here's the sign that greeted us as we walked into the old town to our apartment. Note friendly teen flashing us a peace sign.


All the buildings are reconstructions, of course, since this was the first city to endure the violent battle between the Nazis and the soviets.


Here is our apartment Third floor, no elevator, no shower curtain, but a fab location and comfortable rooms.


View out the bedroom window. Sorry it is kind of slanted. That's just my poor photo skills.






Gdansk has been here since about 997 AD. Man it is old. The reconstructions they did after the war were done carefully to try to recreate just how it looked before. I think they did a pretty good job.


There is a river running through town that connects to the Baltic Sea. Of course sea trade made the city very wealthy through the years. Tourist boat below. Looks like a pirate ship but it is really a party boat.


Many of the buildings have extremely elaborate carvings, paintings, and sculpture. So cool!


One of the popular street foods is grilled smoked gouda cheese with cherry jam on it. I thought it was kinda rubbery. I usually love smoked gouda so I thought I would like it more than I did. That's a toothpick sticking out of it which is how they serve it to you off these little grills on the street.


Like I said, branching out from red pants. His shoes were red, though.


More later!












No comments:

Post a Comment