Thursday, October 6, 2011

Impressions of Madrid

After spending three too short days in Madrid I am left with these impressions. Firstly let me say it is just too adorable the way everybody speaks Spanish with a lisp. I had heard it in Barcelona, but it is even more pronounced here. The first time someone directed me to la plaque- ah I had no idea they meant the plaza. I also learned that " gracias" is said " gra-th-us." love it! What little Spanish I know sure came in handy.
Next,I noticed all the grannies here are about 4 feet tall and walk around all day arm in arm talking and shopping and drinking coffee in sidewalk cafes. Many have brilliantly colored hair and are wearing make up and jewelry.



I noticed a group of regulars who had the spots around a certain monument staked out each night. They don't go home early either!



The men here are for the most part very handsome. All the police officers I saw were muy guapo! There were also women police who looked like models they were so beautiful. One I saw was a motorcycle cop with a long blonde ponytail coming out of her helmet. Another was on horseback.
Now one thing I did notice about the men in my age and up is that they seemed to be obsessed with ham. They have stores here which are for the purpose of selling ham. The names are something like "the museum of Ham" or "the Paradise of Ham". Not making this up. The window displays always had a guy or two checking out the goods.



I noticed a couple of younger guys in the plaza sporting the latest style in pants. Guys get ready. Here is what you'll be wearing next year!



Just take your basic jeans and cut them off to show off those calves!



Yes, I ate this. The main difference you will note, is a thin slice of ham added at the bottom. It wasn't bad!
As far as nutrition goes, well here is the food pyramid in Spain ( from a bag of fritos- yes I had to totally give up my diet that I stuck to for 8 months).



You will notice that you only need 4 glasses of water here which is a good thing because bottled water is very expensive and they have not discovered drinking fountains over here yet. Also, you should be eating mainly carbs here it appears.



I did not see anyone wearing a mantilla . I did not go to a bullfight.



The plaza Sol was packed with people every night. It was a real lively scene with people of all ages out visiting and listening to music. Lots of accordion players everywhere.



All in all, I have to give Madrid an A+!

Location:Madrid, Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment