Friday, January 30, 2015

Mercado

On Tuesdays there is a giant market. I made my way over there to check it out.


Everybody around here talks about the clothes, piles and piles of clothes, for super cheap. And indeed, it was true. I assume these are all used clothes, although they were in surprisingly good condition. I found a lot of Chico's brand as well as Coldwater Creek and Talbots so there were certainly bargains to be had! You'll note the prices hanging from the posters. Five pesos is about 35 cents.



A couple of things to note about the massive pile of clothes above. Las gringas like to dig in there with the best of them. It's kind of like some kind of treasure hunt. You just stick your hand as far as you can into the pile and pull something out. The guy standing on the table at the end is shouting the whole time "barato! barato! barato!" Which means "Cheap! Cheap! Cheap! " he tries to whip all the ladies into a bargain hunting frenzy.


Lots of fresh flowers for sale. Here are some we arranged for our dining table. Which reminds me. You can see behind the table the fantastic collection of books about Mexico that the people who own this house have collected over the years. I wanted to read them all!


Above you see an interesting craft. This guy has coins from all over the world which he carves out with some kind of special tool, leaving the main symbol in the middle. These are all coins from Israel. My fav was the seahorse from Singapore, but I also loved the Aztec head from a Mexican coin. Cool huh?





Also at the mercado were lots of food vendors. It smelled so good. If you are a fan of fried pig skins you will love this!



I bought 3 tomates and two large avocados for less than a dollar total, came home and made myself this delicious lunch. Yum!


On to Guanajuato today! We're riding the bus!

Location:SMA

No comments:

Post a Comment