Sunday, January 18, 2015

El Charco




On the edge of town is a botanic garden which is all about the cacti of course. I joined a group tour and spent a couple of hours hiking around the place. It was wonderful, my idea of a perfect day. The garden is called El Charco and it is set along the shores of a shallow reservoir . On the other side of the dam is a deep canyon with mysterious pools, rocky trails and loads of cool birds.





The barrel cactus below are less common than they used to be because people use them to make a popular type of candy. They rescue and relocate barrel cactus here when necessary.


Century plant putting out a flower.

















This pool is said to be inhabited by a spirit which will pull you down to the underworld if you swim there.


The structure below is made by indigenous people from parts of a cactus plant .








My absolute favorite thing was the incredible birds I saw there. I wish I had taken these two photos but I didn't . I did see both these kinds of birds though.



Vermillion flycatcher


Great kiskadee

I'm really looking forward to the bird walk next week!

Location:SMA

No comments:

Post a Comment