Saturday, March 9, 2013

Flamenco and other dancing

Last night we went to the historic theater here to see a flamenco performance. Before the performance we went to a rooftop bar to take in the view of the sunset and have some refreshments. Margaret got the mango margarita which appeared to have a tamarindo topping of some kind. It was so flashy it made Susan's ordinary margarita look kind of sad by comparison. I had the anejo tequila with a sangita (the red stuff) chaser.



The sunset was pretty too.





Then we went to the Angela Peralta Theater where we got to sit in the box seats. We thought we were so cool.








There were a couple of guys who played guitars while the lone dancer changed costumes. This vid is for my dad cause he loves guitars.

YouTube Video

Here is the dancer, Patricia Linares. I think she teaches classes here in SMA.


I can't believe I neglected to video her dancing! I actually got so wrapped up I forgot! Not like me! It was a good performance , but pales in comparison to what I saw in Spain. After the performance we noticed there was some hub bub going on down at the plaza so of course we strolled down there .


Turns out it was the first night of the Cuban festival. We had just missed the performance by the Cuban band! Bummer! The were taking the harp off the stage when we got there. They had a big tent set up with drums and other stuff from Cuba for sale. We checked that out.


The mariachis were on every corner of the square with their own little crowds of dancers and partiers. Here's a sample, sorry it is so hard to see.

YouTube Video

There were hundreds of young people just walking around the square having the best time. They all seemed to be dressed similarly, many in white button down shirts and black plants ( even the girls). On the way home I asked the taxi driver about it and he said that on certain weekends the young people from neighboring villages/towns come to meet in the plaza here. They dress alike according to where they are from, at least I think that is what he said. He also told me he used to work in a dairy in Nacogdoches, Texas. Dang! My spanish is really improving!

No comments:

Post a Comment