Sunday, September 9, 2012

Bigfoot Country

For the last several days we have been in Bigfoot country. I have been expecting to see Sasquatch step out of the misty woods into the road. The closest I have come was a Bigfoot gift shop with a Sasquatch replica outside. Behold.









The real destination was Mount St. Helen's. I think it was my first time to see a volcano and it was cool. They have a nice interpretive center there with interesting movies showing actual footage of the eruption in 1980. The ranger talk was fascinating and I learned a lot of new things.



There was quite a bit of ash blowing around the mountain so it looks kind of hazy. It doesn't look like much in this picture. You had to be there to get the full impact of what a dynamic event it was.


Miles away down the river valley you can clearly see the path of destruction though it happened over thirty years ago.



All in all we had a great time exploring the area. Here is the place we stayed. We got a big room with three queen beds, a recliner and a dining room table for 6. You don't find that too often!



Today we crossed over the Columbia river on an enormous long and high suspension bridge and ate lunch in the little town of Astoria. That is where the movies Goonies and Kindergarten Cop were filmed. It was very picturesque! Tomorrow we will move up into Olympic National Park. That ought to be interesting. I am still on the lookout for Bigfoot. My grandson would be so impressed if I saw him!

Location:Mount St. Helen's

No comments:

Post a Comment